From orange groves to tourism hub.
The Dr. Phillips community located in unincorporated southwest Orange County, Florida is named after Dr. Philip Phillips, a citrus magnate who owned thousands of acres of land in Central Florida, including 28 orange groves, 3 packing houses, a cannery and who successfully ran one of the most successful citrus enterprises in the world over his lifetime. The creation for the Dr. Phillips community was the inspiration of Howard Phillips, the son of Dr. Phillips, who hired a San Francisco land planning firm in the 1950s to create the master-planned community now known as Dr. Phillips, Florida. The Dr. Phillips area is defined as the area that originally encompassed the contiguous Phillips family land holdings in Southwest Orlando.
The Dr. Phillips community contains high-quality residential neighborhoods, retail shopping, healthcare services, schools and a world-class YMCA, many of which are named after its founder. Today, the Dr. Phillips community is located at the center of the tourism industry where residents and visitors enjoy access to world class dining and hospitality, theme parks, Bay Hill (home of famed Arnold Palmer Golf Course) and outdoor recreation like boating on the Butler Chain of Lakes.
At the heart of Dr. Phillips community sits the headquarters of Dr. Phillips Charities, a grant making organization. After selling the bulk of his land to Minute Maid in 1954, Dr. Phillips created The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation which became part of Dr. Phillips Charities and represents the Phillips’ family legacy. The vision of the Phillips family was to support worthy capital projects and innovative programs of not-for-profit organizations that address critical Central Florida needs, demonstrate the potential for ongoing community support and have significant, lasting impact on the community.
Dr. Phillips Soccer Club
As a nonprofit organization, the Dr. Phillips Soccer Club is focused on providing youth with the resources and team environment they need to succeed both on and off the soccer field. They believe that the sense of community and fun that soccer inspires has benefits that last for years beyond a player’s final organized game.
Dr. Phillip Phillips envisioned a self-sufficient community that would be close distance to his packinghouse, with a post office, school, and fire station. He wanted a community where people could live, work, and play. As his citrus business grew, housing was established for workers. Dr. Phillips planned the entire community around the needs of his citizens. Many years later, his land has become a thriving community, something that Dr. Phillips could have never imagined.
Della Phillips, wife of Dr. Phillips, was an accomplished musician and cherished the arts. The Dr. Phillips charities continue the Phillips family love of music and the arts through the support of their many arts organizations. One of these organizations is the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts. This performing arts center was built in 2014 and is focused on extending its reach into the community, spreading the love of arts. The center features two theaters and one auditorium. In order to give back to the community, the center holds a plethora of art related programs. These include summer camps, master classes, school day performances, and workshops.
When Dr. Phillip Phillips recognized that black citizens of Central Florida were not receiving proper health care, he donated land on West Church Street to Florida
Sanitarium and Hospital, which is now known as the Florida Hospital. This hospital became
known as the Dr. Phillips Memorial Hospital. This facility served the needs of black citizens
from 1958 to 1964. Howard Phillips worked alongside his father and encouraged two black
doctors to move to Orlando and create their practice. The former hospital is now the Guardian Care Nursing & Rehabilitation Center.